Do you have a question for Tony? Click here to Ask Tony
How often should I replace my sewing needles?
Machine needles should be replaced after a maximum sewing time of 8 hours. Replace needles more frequently when sewing synthetic fabric, appliqués or machine embroidery. This will avoid skipped stitches, fabric pulls and frayed threads.
Machine needles are designed to break for the protection of the sewing machine hook mechanism.
If a needle bends, do not sew with it.
When a machine needle breaks, it is a warning to check the following:
- The needle type and size is correct
- Is the thread too thick or unsuitable for the needle size and application?
- Is the upper thread feeding freely?
- Are the thread tensions set too tight?
- Does the machine need cleaning?
- Is the correct presser foot fitted?
- Is the correct sewing technique being used?
- Is the fabric being pulled, pushed or dragged during sewing?
- Twin needles usually break due to excessive heat build up. Reduce speeds and avoid prolonged usage.
MAINES #1 JANOME REPAIR CENTER.
WE ARE CERTIFIED AND FACTORY TRAINED BY JANOME. CERTIFICATE'S OF TRAINING DISPLAYED IN THE STORE.